Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Book Review: Onyx by Jennifer L Armentrout


Onyx by Jennifer L Armentrout


Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

5/5 Stars

I've never been that good with words. Not for reviews anyway. (Stories are another matter entirely.) So it might not come as a shock to you that this book has left me speechless. In a good way.

Katy finds out she's not quite as normal as she first thought. Doors are slamming, lockers are opening of their own accord, and glasses are breaking. Not to mention windows are shattering. Cool, huh?
But this isn't supposed to happen. Well, I suppose it depends on your view. Ever since Daemon healed Katy on Halloween night, things have been a little...crazy.
Daemon and Katy are still fighting, but this time the heat is up. Turned all the way up. The oven is on, baby, and this time it's going sonic style! *giggles*

Still, my favourite scene of them all has to be back in Obsidian when Daemon is trying to get rid of the trace on Katy and they argue and end up kissing, blowing up her laptop in the process.

There are plenty of hot moments like that (ehem...library anyone?) but I don't think...anything quite as intense. Maybe it was just me that felt that, but that doesn't detract from the sexy sexy scenes there were.
I laughed so hard in some scenes as well. Especially a certain scene where Katy & Daemon are caught in a rather...compromising position. I won't spoil. But let's just say... AWKWAAARD!

Simon is back, for a while, and even weirder and drunker than normal.
I was mildly surprised by the lack of Arum this time around, but then again, it wasn't the Arum they really had to worry about. The DOD are in town and they're very interested in Katy. What she finds out about THEM, though, is even more disturbing. 

Also, a certain person who shall remain nameless but was supposedly dead, is seen by Katy and she doesn't know what this means. Everything she and Daemon have known is tipped upside down and they go on a wild hunt trying to put all the pieces together. It really was thrilling to read. So much action, but not in the overly descriptive way. It drew me in quicker and didn't leave me wanting to fast forward pages just to get to the point.

Onyx was just as good, if not better, as its predecessor. Obsidian had me blown away, and Onyx had me... blown away and strapped to the bottom of a war plane in the middle of the Middle East. It made me feel excited, scared, happy, sad... I didn't think I could have so many feelings for one book (and I've read a lot of books.). There are only a small few of the books I've read that have made me feel so....hooked. I mean, I get hooked, but not...not like this. I felt like I was actually IN the story, living the lives along with Katy and Daemon. I didn't cry...although I sure felt like it at times. But I did feel fear.

And also there were times when I was one step ahead of Katy, as I'm sure a lot of readers were.

When there were some intensely sexy scenes though, most of the time I was like O.O WHYYYYY? YOU CAME SO CLOSE? JUST DO IT ALREADY!

Yeah I know. I'm a perv.

I felt sorry for Dee this time around because since Katy was spending so much time training with Blake, and dealing with her new powers and the connection with Daemon, since she didn't want Dee to know.... well, that made it hard for her. And for me. I wanted to shake Dee and tell her that Katy had a reason for all of this. She wasn't just ditching her for some loser with surfer hair.


So over all, if I had to recommend one series this year, it would HAVE to be the Lux series. No, not the Luxe series (because that's a completely different story)...so please don't get confused. 

L.U.X.
LUX.
Lux.
Luuuuuuxxxxxx
Yeah there are lots of ways to say it.

Are you ready for the ride of your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...