Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Interview with Lena Headey via the Irish Times

Irish Times had an interesting interview with Lena Headey who is set to portray Jocelyn Fray in the movie adaptation of  City of Bones, part of The Mortal Instruments series due out next August.
She talks about her role in the new action/thriller Dredd, and briefly mentions her past experiences and what she is like in real life, compared to her character Queen Cersei Lannister in Game of Thrones.

“Nothing I do is by design,” admits a cheery Headey. “It’s always the result of a happy accident. I didn’t have a career plan. It has just become the way it is. It’s all good fun. It’s learning. I don’t think of the background when I am reading stuff. I don’t think about genre. If I like a character, if it intrigues me, that will be the reason that I jump in.” 
At 38, in sharp contrast with early roles, Headey has kicked bottoms in the title roles of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Ultra. She’s taken on Marvel’s Avengers as Mystique in The Superhero Squad Show. She is currently squaring up to the eponymous judge of Dredd. A keen boxer and an incidental weaponry expert, she’s fit for frontline duties, surely? 
“Ha. Oh please don’t send me to the frontline,” she says. “I love being physical but I am extreme either way. I can be superfit. And then I can be really lazy and ignore everything. I am finally getting back into being fit. I love being physical when I am working. There is something visceral about that. I get a kick out of that. Cersei in Game of Thrones is quite solid and stiff. So it’s great to move when you can.”

She then goes on to talk about how unlike her characters she is:

“It seems British. I read it and I just loved Ma-Ma. She’s quite a piece of work.” She does seem to have cornered the market in cruel, queenly parts and “pieces of work”. 
Is she enough of a method actor to carry these attributes home after the shoot? “Oh God no,” she laughs. “I am very much a seat-of-the-pants actor. I will prepare when I have to. But I like being unprepared. Being too prepared doesn’t work for me. Sometimes it’s fulfilling. There are days you walk away and say, ‘Well, I did everything I could.’ But I am still terrified every time they say action. There is a part of me that lacks self-confidence. I couldn’t be less queenly in real life.” She may be right. Barring the emergence of some errant wild child in Monaco, it’s hard to think of a queen who sports quite so many tattoos.

You can find the full interview via this link

Credit to lena-headey.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...